The posts at Something Wagging This Way Comes never fail to get me thinking. This recent post is no exception: 7 Books I Wish Dog Trainers Would Write. (Head on over and check it out… I’ll wait here.) I hope the one about teaching your dog to stop shedding gets written. If I could, I’d reserve a copy now.
Since Pamela’s got the dog training books covered, I thought I’d turn my eye to another segment of the market – books about dog behavior. I’m sure we all have a few mysteries in need of solving (and after all, imitation is supposed to be the sincerest form of flattery – I hope Pamela feels sufficiently flattered today). To solve these mysteries, I’m going to the source.
As a bit of background, poor Tavish recently had eight teeth extracted (more on that later), so he’s on a chewing hiatus until the vet gives him the all-clear. That means no toys… and in Tavish’s view, no fun. Our pals at Pooch Smooches noted that it’s too bad he can’t read. I agree – if he could settle down with a good book, it would make all of our lives easier. Perhaps Pamela can add that one to her list of dog training books.
While we’re at it, let’s teach Tavish and Bella to write too. Then they could explain their motivations to me in witty prose.
Without further ado, here are 7 books I wish my dogs would write:
- Storm Anxiety: Why Peeing on the Dining Room Table Makes Sense
- Somebody’s Watching Me: Threatening Reflections and You
- The House at Toy Corner: Obsessive Canine Disorder
- Noise Anxiety: Why Peeing on the Bed Makes Sense
- Fecal Feng Shui: Yes, the Base of the Patio Stairs is the Perfect Place
- Reflections on Reflux: Throwing Up on the Carpet Instead of the Tile
- Raindrops Won’t Keep Falling on my Head: A Prissy Dog’s Guide to Life
So, those are the books I’d like Bella and Tavish to start penning. It would be kind of nice to understand the motivation behind some of their more puzzling behaviors. Although there are plenty of theories out there, I’d love to hear it straight from the canine’s mouth.
If you could ask your dog (or cat) to write a book explaining why she does what she does, what would the title be?
And now, enjoy some Monday Mischief!