Just because it’s Monday…
You know, I think this blog is way overdue for a good old fashioned link roundup. Don’t you agree? Let’s dive right in.
- First up, your punny pet names for the week: Hiss Hemsworth and Ferret Leto.
- It’s the first rule of Dog Club, man.
- Some look at things and say, “Why?” Others look at things and think, “Dang, that would do for a dog train.”
- How have I never heard of this podcast before?
- I feel the need to introduce you two these dog-related comics: Dogs, Ducks & Aliens and Bark Trek. You’re welcome.
- Tell everyone I died from too much cuteness. They’ll understand.
Finally, as always, we end with a video. Forget that whole doggie in the window thing:
Thanks to BarkPost for this one!
Man, posting a link roundup has me feeling all kinds of nostalgic. I can’t promise them weekly, but it did feel kind of good to bring back the link-a-palooza.
So, anyone else about to be snowbound?
I hate winter. (Tavish agrees.)
Last year was a busy blogging year for me… just not on this blog. I launched my webcomic, which – like a shiny, new toy – has gotten the lion’s share of my attention. I’ll admit that I’ve found myself missing this space and hope to give some more attention to my first blog-child in the coming year. (We’ll talk more about that later this month – stay tuned.)
With that in mind, I wanted to start off the new year with a new post. When a friend told me about 50 Happy Things, I just knew that this was the perfect way to kick off 2016 (and to help me find some positivity in a year that seemed to be full of sad news from the world at large). Plus, I love lists. I have a list of the lists that I keep. It’s like list-ception.
You can visit Tales from the Motherland for the full lowdown, but here are the basics:
- Set a timer for ten minutes.
- During those ten minutes, write a list of 50(ish) things that made you happy (or that you were grateful for) in 2015. (After time was up, I went back and added some links, comments, and photos – you know I can’t resist a good link roundup.)
- Add your post to the list of bloggers participating in this flood of gratitude. (Don’t have a blog? That’s okay! You can do this on your own – either just for yourself, or to share with your friends in another format. Also, if you want to tell me some of the things that made you happy in the comments, I’d love to hear them!)
I armed Tavish with a stopwatch, which he promptly ignored in favor of going back to sleep. (Hosting people for New Year’s Eve is exhausting, apparently.) So, looks like I’m on my own. Here we go… Continue reading
Please forgive me for that post title. It was the best of the worst, so just be thankful I spared you the others. Working titles included “the birth of an animation” and “make way for chucklings.” I told you they were bad.
However, the title seemed fitting, in a way. After all, it’s no secret. Over the past year or so, posts here have been infrequent. I can imagine that finding new content here could sometimes feel as unlikely as finding a Golden Ticket in your Special K.
Okay, maybe that’s not the best example. That Golden Ticket was nothing but trouble, unless you relish the idea of turning into a blueberry or almost drowning in a river of chocolate. I’m hoping that new posts here aren’t having that effect on you.
Anyway, I digress. (Big surprise, right?) I wanted to talk a little bit about my absence and let you know that my time away from you has not been in vain. I’ve FINALLY accomplished one of my goals for 2015 (and 2014 and 2013)…
I launched that webcomic I kept talking about! So, I finally followed through on that promise (or made good on that threat, depending on your point of view) and got some of the ideas out of my brain and onto (virtual) paper. It’s out in the world, and it’s just getting started.
It’s called Biological Clockie, and she really wants to be your new BFF (Best Frenemy Forever):
- The webcomic lives here – you’ll find new comics on Mondays and Thursdays.
- You can sign up to get new comics by email using the form in the right sidebar on the BC website.
- If you’re more of a feed reader kind of person, sign up here.
- Biological Clockie has her own Facebook page and Twitter profile too – follow for updates, funny stuff, and more.
So, that’s the big news here. I hope you’ll stop by and check out my new site – I’d love to hear your thoughts! After all, how could you resist finding out more about this face?
Working on the comic has also helped me start finding my blogging mojo too, so I’ll probably be posting more regularly here as well. It’s win-win (for me at least).
Did you see the story about the runaway llamas?
The story was blowing up Twitter, of course. I imagine that office productivity was way down this afternoon, but office worker morale was probably way up. Seems like a fair tradeoff. Happy minions are useful minions, after all.
That being said, we all know that there is going to be an attempt by various news outlets and Interwebz pundits to write some clever headlines and comments about this high-steed chase. (It’s gold, Jerry. Gold.) Some of those attempts will be more successful than others, no doubt.
In addition, many puns will be taken quickly, and it will become challenging to think of new ones.
Accordingly, I feel that it’s my part as a lover of puns to provide these brave souls with some headline options. You are welcome to these, llama fans. (Though how about a shoutout to your girl over here?)
Without further ado:
- Llama nightmare dressed like a daydream
- The Llamazing Chase
- Llama splice
- Save the drama for your llama
- Llamas on prime
- Llama be, llama be, llama llama llama be
- Llama said knock you out
- Llama llama llama chameleon
- Llamatic irony
- Llama told me (not to run)
- Llama believer
- Llamalready gone
- Llama do my thang
- Who gives an F about an Oxford llama?
- Llama he’s crazy
- Llamas, don’t let your babies grow up to be cowboys
- Llama’s broken heart
- Llama sutra
- She’s a bad llama jama
- Llama mia!
- Llamall about that chase
- Llama gonna get you sucka
- If llama ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy
- Llama just leave this here
- Llama going to Disney World
- Futur-llama: Good news, everyone!
- Llama keep going to the river to pray
- The llamaculate reception
- Llamada Inn
- Llamall dressed up & nowhere to go
- Llamigration reform
- Llamaican me crazy
I’m spent… but I do it all for you.
Lately, I’ve been thinking that it’s time to expand the roundups of punny pet names beyond the current canine and feline collections. After all, puns appear to be a perennial favorite around here – punny pet names in particular.
So, I present to you the first in a (possible) series… illustrated punny pet names! Our first fur-lebrity to get the picture treatment?
Everyone’s favorite lifeguard, the star of Haywatch… Ms. Hamela Anderson! Please enjoy this autographed photo from the lady hamster herself:
Fun fact (or… just a fact): this is my first time drawing a hamster. I have a feeling that this news will not surprise you.
So, tell me… is this feature a keeper? (Be honest.) If so, any suggestions for a possible title? (In addition to “Picture this Pun,” I briefly considered “Profiles in Punnage” as an alternate.)
Once again, the time has come to engage in a little bit of omphaloskepsis. I’m still firmly in the anti-belly button camp, but I’ll try to gaze at my metaphorical navel without getting too grossed out.
Anyway, that’s a long-winded way of saying I’m participating in the annual Pet Blogger Challenge hosted by our friends at GoPetFriendly.com. Every year, the Pet Blogger Challenge gives us an opportunity to reflect on the past year and look forward – it’s a chance to deliver our own little State of the Blog address. Continue reading
Disclaimer: Tavish does not endorse, nor does he appreciate, the “humor” of this post.
Walking in a Neutered Wonderland
Puppy balls, are you listening?
At the vet’s, the tools are glistening.
It’ll all be all right, but by later tonight,
You’ll be walking in a neutered wonderland.
Gone away, is your manhood.
Instead you see, you’ll be fixed good.
You might think it’s wrong, but just go along
Walking in a neutered wonderland.
To the dog park you can totally go, man,
And the fertile females will not frown.
Lots of fun you’ll have,
I know you still can.
Don’t let this operation get you down.
Treats aplenty, you’ll require.
As you recover, by the fire.
To face unafraid,
The different junk the vet made.
Walking in a neutered wonderland.
I totally get you’re down about this stuff, and
And now you think our evil has renown.
We didn’t ask your thoughts,
But give it time, man.
You’re still the king, just no jewels set in your crown.
Just wait and see, you’ll be thrilling.
Without your balls, you’ll be chilling.
You’ll frolic and play,
The same old sweet way,
Walking in a neutered wonderland.
So… that happened. Sorry, everyone. Feel free to caption this photo of Tavish as my holiday gift to you.