Think you can beat my caption? Share yours in the comments!
It’s time for another link roundup…
- First up, your punny pet name for the week: Lickey Mantle. (Bonus Pisces pun!)
- I know it’s an unpopular opinion, but I just adore when the clocks spring forward. I’ve been doing my own Care Bear Countdown, waiting for those extra hours of evening daylight to appear.
- Seriously, if I wasn’t so lazy, I’d be celebrating like these party animals right now. (If I’m being honest, I’m super jealous of this crew.)
- Daylight Saving Time also means that spring is on its way. After this never-ending winter, I’m ready for some warmth… and perhaps a glass of wine or two. Or maybe a picnic?
- I’m not picky. I’ll happily accept a beer instead, especially if baseball is involved.
- Wineries, ballparks, dance studios… puppies are everywhere these days!
Finally, for today’s video, I present a dramatic reenactment of how happy I will be when winter is officially over:
Oh, and in case you missed it, here’s what we’ve been up to on the blog lately:
- On procrastination, armadillos, and more…
- I’m going to need your dog’s signature on that…
- It’s maybe perhaps just a little bit chancy, but today is the time for flights of Seussical fancy
- Caption this dog: Flower child
I know they’re usually Friday links, but I’m off my schedule lately. I figure you don’t mind too much.
Step 3: Enjoy today’s dose of Friday linkage. It’s that easy.
- First up, your punny pet name: Hayton Manning (for a horse, obviously).
- So, let’s talk about the most important bowl in the cupboard this weekend. That’s right… the Puppy Bowl is almost here! Who’s on your fantasy team?
- Forget Behind the Music. Let’s go behind the Puppy Bowl! (Here’s even more behind the scenes action. You’re welcome.)
- You may have already seen it by now, but if not… Budweiser has officially won the advertising portion of the Super Bowl. (I don’t normally go for a Bud Light. However, the next time my only choices are of the cheap beer variety, I think I’ll have to give it the edge.)
- Speaking of ads, these guys are a strong contender in the less prestigious (but still intriguing) non-animal division. (Unfortunately, this year’s crop of ads aren’t all winners. Le sigh.)
- Anyway… wondering who will win the actual game that’s being played on Sunday? These puppies know the answer.
CarMax made an all-puppy reenactment of its Super Bowl ad this year. I heard that it was only going to be posted online, but this really has Puppy Bowl written all over it:
Next year, I think all Super Bowl ads should be reenacted with adorable animals and aired during the various Adorable Bowls.
Finally, in case you missed it, here’s what we’ve been up to on the blog lately:
- Animal Odd Couples 2: Eclectic Boogaloo
- Are dogs furry kids?
- Who run the world? Squirrels.
- Caption this dog: Do I amuse you?
- Caption this dog: This is my serious face
Who are you rooting for this weekend? The Broncos? The Seahawks? Opie? Wyatt? Pong? (Choose your favorite player here.)
This… this was a month. A busy one.
You may recall that October’s K9 Kamp challenge was to do more – specifically, to get active with your dog for an extra 30 minutes a few times per week. You may also recall that I found this challenge a bit daunting, given how busy my month was shaping up to be.
So, how did it go? Well, I did not meet my own personal fitness goals, given that I haven’t seen the inside of my gym since September. (Here’s hoping that November will be better.) I ate pretty poorly this month. I had no motivation. I got off to a really slow start with K9 Kamp, having a lot of trouble squeezing in those extra minutes. I wasn’t sure how I would explain it all to you here on the blog.
(That GIF, by the way, is from the show Being Erica. If you have not seen it, you are totally missing out. Thank you, Canada. I was lucky that a friend turned me on to this show so that I could catch it when it aired on SOAPnet, but I believe you can still buy or download it. Anyone else a fan?)
Anyway, it turns out that doing more with the dogs is easier than getting myself to the gym. It’s also easier than resisting a delicious cookie. Thank goodness!
Once I realized that I didn’t have to do all of those minutes at once (thanks, Kol’s Notes!), the challenge seemed more achievable. A game of tug here, a game of fetch (or my dogs’ version of it, which is not really fetch at all) there, and the minutes added up before I knew it. So, I guess the lesson from this round of K9 Kamp is that even when you’re busy, it can be done!
With that, another session of K9 Kamp has come to a close. Would I do it again?
The llama has spoken. I’ll see you next time, fellow Kampers. How did you get active with your dog this month?
Tavish makes his debut as a film star, with an assist from Bella…
We tend to rate Tavish’s energy level on any given day using a sliding scale of Tavishes. One Tavish is pretty energetic. On occasion, I’ve rated him at about fifteen Tavishes. So, it should come as no surprise that he’s making sure we keep moving this month. He’s like an adorable drill sergeant.
Are you participating in K9 Kamp this month? How’s it going for you?
- First up, your punny pet names: Chick Jagger, Sheddie Money, Mane Brady, Drooly Andrews, and Robert Sniffin III.
- So, I don’t know about you, but I’d totally cheer for a team named the Washington Redpandas. (Sorry, New York Giants… I’d drop you like a hot potato. No, changing your name to the New York Giant Pandas wouldn’t change my mind. I’m a red panda gal at heart. You should totally do it anyway though. Cleveland Brown Pandas, you’re on notice too.)
- In case you were wondering how I feel when I even think of the remote possibility that red pandas could finally get their moment in the sun, this video clip should clear it up. (I’m so excited. So excited.)
- I’m trying not to think about the fact that it will probably never happen. It will only break my heart. (Speaking of Calvin & Hobbes…)
- On another panda-related note, I’m pretty sure that this was the best thing to come out of that shutdown nonsense.
I’m just going to put it out there – I am in favor of recreating all music videos with dog stars. We can call it DMTV. The videos can air at halftime during PFL (Panda Football League) games:
That’s all for today. In case you missed it, here’s what we’ve been up to on the blog since the last Friday link roundup:
- Caption this dog: Mushy in the morning
- Barking about books: The Dieting with My Dog Guide to Weight Loss and Maintenance
- Calling all DC/northern Virginia dogs: #Barktoberfest is this Saturday!
- Caption this dog: Just call me Cabinet Head
- Lions & tigers & Jon Hamm… oh my!
- Forget the shutdown with a muttdown
- Caption this dog: Flattery will get you everywhere
- I’ve got 99 problems, but #K9Kamp ain’t one
- This kitty in a walker will roll into your heart
- Caption this dog: Frank N. Furter
- #BtC4A: Turning shelter dogs into social butterflies?
- DOGma: Channel your inner bitch & take up some space
Here’s hoping that the next month won’t be as crazy as the last one… I kind of missed my Friday links (whether you did or not)!
- Up first, your punny pet names: Richard Simbones and Dane Fonda. (Alternatives for that last one: Jane Fawnda or Mane Fonda.)
- We did a lot of walking this time around. For the next session of K9 Kamp, I hope to step it up a bit. I’ll be taking a cue from some of my fellow Kampers, who came up with great ways to stay fit. Among them? Hiking, skateboarding, weightlifting, superhero training, kayaking, and geocaching.
- It’s not just about working out though. Being healthy involves eating right too, which would be much easier if I had a chef like this one helping me out.
- I’m feeling nostalgic for Kamp already. Can’t we have a few more days of campfire songs and s’mores (in appropriately-sized portions, of course)? Time to pull out the photos and reminisce.
- Even though Kamp is over for now, there will still be mini-challenges each month courtesy of our newest coach. I can’t wait (and I know my squishy core can still use some more work).
- I’d still like to put in a formal request that Koly engage in some (videotaped) Prancercise, with or without a John Mayer soundtrack. (Pretty please? I’ll even try to see if I can figure out how Tavish can do the Flo in return.)
- On a tangentially related note, today happens to be Take Your Dog to Work Day. I wonder if you could bring your dog to the office gym. (Probably not.)
Finally, I leave you with today’s video. I’m kind of in love with it – it makes me want to finally learn how to edit a decent video and come up with something amazing for the next session of K9 Kamp.
Finally, here’s what we were up to on the blog this week:
- I’m addicted to dog photos
- #K9Kamp: What’s your dog’s walking style?
- Treat yo’ self like a dog today
- Caption this dog: In the blink of an eye
- 20 posts you should read right now (instead of doing that whole job thing)
Will you be working out with your dog this weekend?
As I mentioned last week, we’re participating in K9 Kamp yet again. This week, I’ve been working on increasing the duration and intensity of my walks with Tavish to get a better workout.
Maybe we’ll buy matching tracksuits and kick it up in the style department as well. (Don’t worry, I’ll get Bella one too so that she won’t feel left out. And then she’ll give me the evil eye if I even think about putting her in it.)
When we first moved into our current house, I finally had a fenced yard. It made me a little lazy about going for walks, honestly. Bella tires easily these days, so her walks are shorter and less frequent. (She often prefers to amble around the yard and take a nap in the grass, I think. For this and many other reasons, I am pretty sure that Bella is my spirit animal.) However, adding Tavish to our family changed things significantly. He loves going for walks, and his enthusiasm is contagious. (It can also be painful, when his “enthusiasm” lands on my feet or jumps on my legs.)
Anyway, that brings me to the point of this post. (I realize I took a long and winding path to get here, but that’s pretty much par for the course.) If you’re interested in getting fit with your pup but don’t know where to start, might I suggest just grabbing the leash and going for a walk? It’s great for both of you, and it’s an easy way to get moving. With that in mind, I thought I’d share a cute video I found that discusses the benefits of walking with your dog and offers a few tips.
What did you think of the video? Share your tips and thoughts in the comments!
Next week, I hope to try some new activities with my workout buddy. Stay tuned…
How would you caption this photo? Share your best lines in the comments!